Is your website performing for you or does it sit online and gather online dust? We come across so many websites that don’t achieve their potential and don’t play a part in the success of the business.
Naturally every business wants to grow and therefore every business needs to generate new leads and your website should be helping you do this. So, what are the hallmarks of a successful website? What does your website need to do to play a part in the success of your business?
1️. Make visitors want to hang around
The success of a party can easily be defined by how many people are still hanging around at the end of the night. The same can be said for your website.
Are people staying on your website and finding out more about you or are they simply coming on and then bouncing straight off? If your website is bland, a tad boring and all it does is feed the visitor the same old boring information then the chances are people come and people go. It’s your job to ensure people hang around.
The best way to find out how people are interacting with your website is by keeping an eye on Google Analytics. By monitoring the analytics on your website, you can see who is coming to your website, where from and most importantly how long they are staying for. If people are spending no time on your website, then it’s time to act.
2. Lead visitors to interact in some way
You don’t just want eyeballs on your website, you want interaction, this is a much better goal. The more interaction you can get from your visitors, the more chance there is of them doing business with you, whether now or in the future.
Here are some things you can add to your website to increase interaction:
- Live chat function
- Lead magnets where visitors complete their details to receive a free asset such as an eBook
- An online quote system
- Lead generation forms such as request a call back
- An integrated quiz
3️. Compel visitors to check out a variety of pages
If someone decides to move from one page to another on your website this shows that they have an interest in who you are and what you do. It’s the job of your website to stimulate their interest, so they move their way through your website.
Different people take in information in different ways. Some people like to read information whilst others just want to watch a quick video which tells them all they need to know. Make sure your website pages allow for different people. All text and no images or videos will turn some people off immediately. Then again, all video and no text will alienate others. It’s important you have a website that allows for the differing people that will visit your website. If you can do this, you will get more interaction from a range of different website visitors.
4️. Ensure there is no room for frustration
There is no question that people generally want what they want, and they want it now. It’s absolutely essential to the success of your website that you remove all obstacles on your website.
Anything that is preventing people from…
- Finding what they want
- Completing their details
- Getting a price/quote
- Buying a product
- Obtaining key information
- Contacting you
… is a big problem. You simply have to make it easy for people to do what they want to do.
Ensure your website removes all frustration and some simple tips for this are:
- Ensure you website is super quick. If people are waiting for pages to load, they will simply pop off to a competitor’s website. Ideally you want all your website pages to load in under 3 seconds.
- Ensure that your website navigation is simple and clear. People need to be able to move across your website easily and seamlessly.
- Ensure your contact details are super easy to find.
- Ensure your key call to actions are obvious across every page of your website.
- If you can add your pricing to your website, then do so. We all get frustrated when we want a price for something, and we simply cannot get that price. We know this is not possible for every industry but if you can, why not?!?
5️. Impress visitors with the design
Looks aren’t everything but they certainly do matter.
The design and style of your website is not the only priority, but it’s one key factor. Seriously, who wants an old and outdated website! Your website is your online shop window to the world – make sure it impresses.
Don’t be obsessed by looks because there are many pretty websites out there that achieve nothing, but you certainly want to ensure your website is attractive. When your potential customers come looking it is important that they like the look of your shop window or else they might never come through the door for a closer look at how you can help them.
If you can wow your potential clients with an impressive, creative and modern website you have removed one obstacle to sale immediately.
6️. Make visitors want to tell others about it
Imagine if people were bragging about your website, saying how much they loved it and how easy it was to find what they wanted. This should be the aim for your website.
Have a website that impresses, makes you proud and gives your competitors something to seriously think about. If you can cover the points addressed in this blog post, then you can have the website you have always dreamed about and people will tell others about it.
7️. Give reasons to remember it
You have much more chance of getting referrals for new business if your website is memorable.
Here are some tips on how to create a memorable website…
- Be brave: disrupt your industry by having a website that is different and unique from all your competitors.
- Include automation: Most websites are just online brochures; they contain the same old information and that is it. The more automation you include the more you will stand out.
- Easy pricing: If you can include an online quote system where people can work out a price for what they want there and then, then this is a huge bonus. Not only does it make your website stand out, but it also attracts the right customers.
- Include social proof: Everyone expects you to say how great your business is but when customers shout about you then this really counts. Ensure your website includes lots and lots of proof.
- Showcase using video: By adding professional videos on your website, you are really standing out. Promotional videos, customer testimonials and educational videos are an excellent addition to any website.
- Professional photos: We all know that images say a thousand words, so if you can include images of your team, environment, products and projects this will really help your website stand out from most websites that are jam packed with stock photos.
8️. Teach something new
They say that every day is a school day so maximise this on your website. You need to be showing that:
- You are the expert
- You are a market leader
One of the ways to do this is to ensure your website educates your audience.
If you are having an operation, I am guessing you want an expert to perform that operation. If you are having your car fixed, I am guessing you want it fixed by an expert. Well, the same can be said for what it is that you do. People want to use experts. With this in mind it’s important that your website is showing you are the experts.
Some things you can include on your website to do this are:
- A blog full of helpful and educational blog posts (not boring news articles)
- Videos offering tips and advice
- A knowledge centre full of helpful articles
- A questions and answers area
- A link to a Facebook Group you run where you give away advice for free
No longer is your website just an online brochure it also needs to show that your business is knowledgeable and the experts at what it is that you do.
Choose Purple are a website design agency located near Sheffield in the UK. We design and build websites for clients all over the world focussing on helping get the best results possible. If you would like to contact our team to discuss your website, you can do this here or alternatively you can get a quote for a new website here.